Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 12

The last two days have involved a fast and harried 1600 mile trip. Needless to say, blogging took a back seat to driving. But the trip gave me some insights to trying to control eating on the road.
Travelling the way I was, I didn’t have time for nice sit down meals. So the two most readily accessible food sources were 1) fast food restaurants and 2) convenience stores. Trying to get anything not built exclusively with carbohydrates is almost impossible at a convenience store unless you are inclined towards beef jerky (which I am not). Trail mixes can have lots of nuts, so there is one possibility. I was trying to avoid carbonated beverages, too, but I have a stubborn resistance to buying water in a bottle. So mostly I settled for fruit juice or ice tea.
As far as fast food, we found a relatively healthy alternative in Chipotle’s. Their meals are filled with rice and beans (not bad), and if you go for a burrito bowl and forgo the big tortilla it is even better. All in all I got home feeling only half as bloated as I usually do after a trip like this. And you know what they say: half a bloat is better than…no, that doesn’t work, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment