Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 5 - Deluged by Diet Books

Pushup day again! Today it was 10-12-8-8-max (at least 12) with 90 seconds between. I did 14 in my last rep, putting me up to 52 total for the day. The good thing is that I am not as sore afterwards as I have been. Let’s see how I am doing on Friday.
I went to Books-a-Million yesterday to check out the section on diet books. Wow! I knew there would be a lot, but there were conservatively 150 titles jammed on the shelves. (Someone jokester had wedged a copy of I’m OK, You’re OK in among them!) Being neither a nutritionist nor a speed reader, I can’t offer any significant insight on them other than to say that most seem to fall into one of two categories: cut calories or cut carbs. There were also the random books promoting weight loss through hypnosis, veganism or grapefruit, but carbs and calories still top the list.

One book that did catch my eye was James Beckerman’s The Flex Diet. I liked it because it is not so much a diet (despite the title) as a lifestyle change. He recommends 200 ideas from journaling to restricting eating after dinner to wearing a pedometer. You choose the ones that fit best with your own lifestyle and start down the path to weight loss. His ideas are more common sense than groundbreaking, but I suspect that is true of most diet books. Despite generations of research, there seems to be no consensus about how the human body should go about losing weight. I am inclined to think that never has so little insight been packaged in so many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment